ICS4U COMPUTER SCIENCE – GRADE 12 (UNIVERSITY)
ICS4U online enables students to further develop knowledge and skills in computer science. Students will use modular design principles to create complex and fully documented programs, according to industry standards. Student teams will manage a large software development project, from planning through to project review. Students will also analyze algorithms for effectiveness. They will investigate ethical issues in computing and further explore environmental issues, emerging technologies, areas of research in computer science, and careers in the field.
Programming in JavaEssential Question: What is Java? How do we work with data types? How do we code condition and control structures?
- In this unit, students will review programming basics, and work in Java using the Netbeans IDE. Students will learn about data types, commenting, and arrays. Students will also research the impact of computers on the environment.
Modular ProgrammingEssential Question: What is Object Oriented Programming? How do we read and write to files? How do we use industry standard testing and documentation?
- In this unit, students will learn about Object Oriented Programming, how to read and write to files, and how to use industry standards for testing and documenting.
Arrays and Algorithm AnalysisEssential Question: How can we make and work with two dimensional arrays? How do we determine how long an algorithm will take to run and choose an efficient algorithm?
- In this unit, students will investigate efficient ways to search and sort arrays. Students will learn about two-dimensional arrays and how to calculate the worst case time an algorithm takes to run.
Recursion and Project ManagementEssential Question: How can we write recursive methods effectively? How can we make Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) in java? What are some standard project management tools, and can can we use them to manage a software development project?
- In this unit, students will learn how to write recursive methods, make GUIs, and manage projects.
10% of Final Grade
- This project is one of the final evaluations of ICS4U online. This project will challenge students to use all the concepts they have learned throughout this course and is worth 10% of the final grade.
Proctored Exam20% of Final Grade
- This exam is the final evaluation of ICS4U online. Students need to arrange their final exam 10 days in advance. All coursework should be completed and submitted before writing the final exam, please be advised that once the exam is written, any outstanding coursework will be given a grade of zero. The exam will be two hours.
- Please consult our Frequently Asked Questions Page or the Exam section within your course for details on exam proctoring options.